Saturday, August 6, 2011

Tour Divide Day 10

Tour Divide Day 10- Rawlins to Brush Mountain Lodge, 90 miles

This was the shortest day in the race (by mileage) that I had up to this point. It was really demoralizing from the beginning. I think it had to do with a combination of tough climbing, horrible weather, and the toll that big miles had been taking on my body.

I started out the morning by getting some grub at Subway. Mental note, Subway eggs SUCK. The food just wasn't very good and it took a serious toll on my attitude. That combined with my ever growing saddle sore problem and I kinda just wanted to lay down on the side of the road. As in lay there FOREVER.

After I got a ways out of town the climbing really began in earnest. The roadway just kept going up and up. Nature started to call like you wouldn't believe. I scrambled down into a small ravine to relieve my self. And there, with my pants down, squatting in a ravine the heavens opened up.

It kinda came out of nowhere. I mean, it was cloudy but I hadn't heard any thunder or smelled the rain coming. Nothing. Then it was just DUMPING, like me. (Get it?!?!?!? HA!)

Anyways, shortly after the rain began the pavement ended. As I reached some of the upper elevations thunder and lightning began. It was an incredible show. I actually saw lightning coming down on both sides of the road. Scary but cool.

The torrential down pour made road soup. My riding slowed and eventually became a walk. Then a trudge as the mud got deeper. As my progress slowed, my body became colder and colder. I started experiencing heavy shivering again. My spirits dropped even lower. It was a good thing nobody offered me a ride at this point, I probably would have take it. Hell, it's a good thing nobody drove by because I probably would have hitched a ride!

I eventually came to Aspen Alley, which was really beautiful. It at least made me smile. Something which hadn't happened all day.


Aspen Alley, one of the places I was really excited to see on the Divide. Too bad the riding wasn't better!


The road conditions didn't really improve. Although, there were some sections that were rideable. I really enjoyed those little sections. It made dragging my bike through the mud worth while. 

Eventually I made it to some pavement. I began riding and realized the mud had really taken a toll on my drive train. It was creaking and popping like crazy as I tried to shift. 



This picture is hard to see because it was partially covered by my rain mitts. However you can see that the entire roadway was washed away down the side of the mountain. The hole is about twenty feet deep!


I rolled on down the roadway and enjoyed some free speed from a large descent. Then I saw a sign.....


Good bye Wyoming!

After leaving Wyoming I came to the little town of Slater, CO. 



The Slater Post Office, a trailer, is the only thing in Slater.

At this point it wasn't too late at night and I thought I had about four miles to make it to the Brush Mountain Lodge. Although the road was really muddy I figured I could make it before full dark, grub up, and head out to get towards the snowy pass before I camped. 

Boy, was I wrong. 

The road leading to Brush Mountain Lodge is a serious slog. It's basically a hill at a steady grade with no reprieve and it winds so you can't see what is coming up more than 80 feet ahead of you. It was muddy and I had to walk the entire thing. It also turns out the lodge is FOURTEEN miles not FOUR up the road. I stopped several times to check and re-check and re-re-recheck my cues. I was out there for so freaking long that there was even a discussion on bikepacking.net about what was going on with me. 

Then finally, after HOURS of hiking, I rounded a corner to be blinded by a bright light emanating from the infamous Brush Mountain Lodge. (My experience was very close to what Jill Homer experienced as she stumbled into the Brush Mountain Lodge. Too funny.) 

I walked up to the door and was greeting by Kristin. She was as awesome as all the lore about her. She welcomed me in and fed me a feast like no other. I estimated that night that I ate close to 10,000 calories: beer, pasta, muffins, cookies, fruit, and seconds of everything.


MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!

Kristin gave me another plate of food to take bed. I hit my room. Washed out my stuff and put it by the fire (yes I had my own fireplace in the room) and laid it out to dry. I passed out in bed with cookies in my mouth. 

Apparently I was awoken at some point when Kristin knocked on my door. My lovely wife had called and we had a short conversation. According to Liz, my wife, I sounded pretty out of it. I literally remember NOTHING about this. I must have been really tired. 

It was a good thing I was sleeping hard because the next day was even tougher.



No comments:

Post a Comment