Saturday, August 6, 2011

Tour Divide Day 9

Tour Divide Day 9- Post Pinedale to Rawlins, ~220 miles

I woke up this morning freezing my ghetto bootie off. After I unzipped my bivy I looked down and realized why I was so cold. There was so much frost on my bivy that it froze to my sleeping bag. There was also frost lining almost the entire interior of my bivy. It was a pretty cold and miserable all night but for some reason I was undeterred. I just packed up my stuff and got riding, it was the only way to stop the incessant shivering.

I knew Atlantic city was about 70-80 miles away and I hoped to hit it by 11 am or so, have a big lunch, resupply, and dominate the Basin. That way I could hit Rawlins midday the next day and resupply. I would later realize that the next day was a Sunday.... a day on which all post offices are closed!

The road left pavement about five miles after I started riding. I really wish I would have realized this the night before. I could have had a way better sleeping spot!!

The terrain was really pretty and rolling.

It's hard to get an idea from this picture but the terrain is rolling. Although the elevation gains were small, the total elevation gains were relatively high due to the repeated short steep climbs

Self portrait. My sunglasses are sitting low on my nose because the nosepiece broke off about day 3. I would ride like this until the end. I had quite the scab on the bridge of my nose.



Recanting the squirrel gang fight story from the previous night. 


Eventually I made it to Atlantic City (after a short stop at the town three miles before). I ate a ton at the local bar. I was really glad it was open. I had no idea if it would be or not. I got the last of the ice cream too. I kinda felt bad for the guys behind me but only for a few seconds!



A sign outside of the Atlantic City bar

Then it was off into the Basin. I took a ton of food and seven liters of water. Wayyyyy too much. I ended up dumping some water about ten miles into the Basin. I realized I was moving pretty fast and the water was just slowing me down. My balance between victual/water weight and speed was compromised so I dumped some to help me move a bit faster.



Shooting a quick video as I hike a super steep hill leaving Atlantic City


There really isn't much to say about the Basin. It is kinda flat, kinda rolling, really windy, and boring as hell. I made it through the dirt road of the Basin just as it was getting dark. It was a mentally challenging section, nothing to do but worry that I was going to starve or die of dehydration, but physically it was pretty easy.


Nightly update as I cruise the 30-40 miles towards Basin. (Sorry there isn't much to see!)

I had my first northbounder encounter on the way towards Rawlins. I think it was Paul, he was the leader and by quite a margin. He was really nice and it was nice to see my first racer since Wise River. We had a short chat and then we parted ways. The last stretch into Rawlins was mentally challenging. I just really wanted off the bike and I ended up riding ten miles further than I thought I needed to. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

I eventually ended up in Rawlins. I found a hotel. Ordered food to go from the diner and ate like a horse in my room as I fell asleep sitting up in bed. I actually woke up several hours later still sitting up.

No comments:

Post a Comment