Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Tour Divide 20 days, 14 hours, 10 minutes, 12 seconds

The last day- North of Silver City to Antelope Wells, ~150 miles


What a morning; I woke up to a beautiful sunrise over the southern desert wilderness, I had a big smile on my face, and I knew hot food wasn't too far away. I packed up my stuff and started hiking. After about half a mile the trail smoothed out a bit and became rideable.

I realized as I was riding that the trail wasn't that bad in the day light. I also realized that the edge of the trail that had seemed like a vast abyss in the dark was actually a pretty freaking steep drop off. I still can't believe I didn't kill myself out there....

I hit up the roadway at the campground where the CDT dumps out. The road climbs for a bit but since it was still cool out I was able to cook right up the few miles of climbing. After that, the roadway drops right down into Silvercity.

I stopped a local couple in a car and asked where some good eats were. The pointed out a nice cafe that was on route. Bingo! I stopped in, called my wife, and ate three helping of breakfast. My wife told me that DJ and Ben weren't too far behind me. 

Time to go!

The meal and the thrill of actually having somebody to race really got me pumped. I rocketed right out of town. As I was riding along the highway I was waved down by a guy in a truck. He asked me if I needed a ride in from the border.

To be honest I hadn't really planned what I was going to do. My wife had originally been planning to pick me up but I was going to beat her to the border by several days because I had drastically overestimated how long it was going to take me.

I told him that I did need a ride. He called a friend of his that ran a border shuttle. He said that he would track my spot and get the shuttle to me about the time that I hit the border.(There's an illegal immigration joke there somewhere.)  I wish I could remember his name...

Thanks dude!!!


Taking a walking break during the heat of the day.



More progress towards the border....


I got a flat about half a mile from the little gas station at Separ. It was so hot I couldn't stand changing it out under the open sun. I walked the last bit to the gas station and changed the flat in the shade.

A guy walked up and started asking me about my bike. I explained where I had been and where I was going.

He said, "You know that's like 70 miles from here right?"

I responded, "Yup."

He then looked at the thermometer on the building and said, "You know that thing says it's 115 degrees out here right?"

I responded, "Yup."

He asked, "You know you're crazy right?"

I smirked, "You have no idea..."

I finished up the flat repair and headed into the gas station. I drank six helpings of lemonade from the soda machine (that's like 180 ounces of lemonade!), ate a ton of ice cream, and some candy. Then, I left the store, hit up the last pavement section towards the border, and let my body go.


The last video before my phone died.


I was pretty much on autopilot by this point. So, I fully enjoyed the sunset, the smells, and waving at the same border agent that passed me about 40 times. It was wonderful.

I looked back often hoping to see Ben or DJ and at the same time hoping that they didn't catch me. The later wish came true.

About ten miles from the border a van pulled up next to me. There were a few people in the van and they were hooting and hollering. I was confused but I waved back, said thanks, and kept riding.

I rolled up to the border and the same white van was there. It was DJ's girlfriend, Aidan Harding, and Sarai (the chick who was covering the race from pushpedalcrank.com). I rolled up to the last gate at the border, got off my bike, and just stared into the darkness beyond.

I really wanted to just keep riding. I wanted to know what was out there. I wanted to feel the rhythm of the land, the cycle of the days, and the oneness of nature that I had become so used to.

A voice came from behind me, it was Sarai the reporter, "How do you feel?"

I thought for a few moments and responded simply, "Cathartic."

Then I smiled.

Aidan gave me a beer and we shot the breeze while I waited for my ride. It was a great ending to a hard race. I mean, I finished the worlds toughest bike race and totally had a beer with one of my heroes!

My chariot showed up, a 1995 lincoln town car. A 70 year old dude step out and helped me pack my bike into the trunk. I said good bye to my new found friends and I was off to a little town on the interstate near Separ. ( I can't remember the name of the town but Fixie Dave stayed there during his ITT bike loss fiasco.)

The shuttle driver mentioned that he had talked to some guy who was hoping to catch me a ways back on the course. Just about then we saw a bike light off in the distance. He pulled over and it was non other that THE Ben Oney. I jumped out and congratulated him on such a great race. It was really cool to finish within a few hours of somebody that I had been racing for 20 days.

When we got to the town, the driver stopped at a gas station for me. I got food and some clothing. I looked ridiculous but it was better than my hole laden bike shorts.


I look happy to be in comfy clothing.

The next several days were spent stuffing my face and traveling by bus to Las Vegas to meet my wife. I stopped off in Phoenix to ship my bike. I ended up at this swank little bike place, Sunday Cycles. They were super cool and I recommend checking them out if you are ever in the area! 

Stay tuned for one more Divide blog post where I plan to do a 'look back' at what I did to get ready, what gear I used, and what I would do differently.

5 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!!! can't wait until June for my turn!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey big poppa,

    great write up. I really enjoyed your account of each day, great details in the write up. I cant believe you remember so much about each day.

    Anyways, I was hoping you could help me out. I wanted to get your take on a few good long distance saddles. I am hoping to be at the start of the TD in 2014 and I wanted to start trying some out. Which did you ride? Being that you've been around a few bikepacking enthusiasts, have you seen a common trend in the saddles that show up to these events?

    Thanks for any help,
    - greg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Greg,

    There are a ton of different saddle options out there. Matt Lee uses the same saddle that I do for cross country racing. I can't remember the model but it's a Fizik saddle with Ti rails. Some other people like the the brooks leather saddles.

    For my first TD I chose a Wilderness Trail Bikes Laser V saddle. Lots of padding with Ti rails. It just got along really well with my rear end and lower back. I'm pretty sure Jay Petervary uses that saddle as well.

    When I race again I will likely use the same saddle but I'm going to give my Fizik another try. I'm much thinner now and I think the saddle sore problem might work better with the Fizik now.

    I know that's kind of a broad answer but.... there are a huge variety of bootie shapes out there!

    My biggest tip is chose something based on comfort (not weight or racing feel). The roads on the TD aren't bad but they are rough enough to warrant careful consideration. Once you choose one, put some miles on it. My Laser V already had leather wearing off by the time I hit the start.

    (FYI, I still have that Laser V and I ride with it all the time. I think all the holes and torn leather make it pretty!)

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Big Poppa,

    Thanks for the info. I've been spying on a lot of TD bikes and have noticed the laser V outfitted on a lot of them. I'll think try it out. And besides the frame, i think the saddle is the next most sentimental part of the bike, you cant just replace it when its get old : )

    So after reading your daily TD recaps, you have really encouraged me to step up and ride the race properly. I was originally just going to ride it at a quick touring pace, and get through what I could. But now i decided i will really train for this and fully commit to the grand depart in 2014. I would go for 2013, but im currently getting over a knee injury so we'll see how the progress comes...

    Anyways, thanks for the inspiration. Are you planing to ride it again? I thought i saw you post on the discussion board a little while ago.

    peace,
    greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will most definitely be out there on the Divide again. The route just has a way of getting "under your skin and in your blood", as Mike Hall once said. I just feel this NEED to get out there. I have vivid dreams about the route about 3 times a week and I spend several hours thinking about tactics, strategy, and gear.

      I guess you'll learn what I mean soon enough.

      I plan to race the TD again in 2014. I'll either race the GD or do an ITT in the fall. It will depend on my clinical schedule...

      Delete