Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Tour Divide: A Review Part 3 of 3

Race Tactics....

Racing an ultra endurance event is a mixed bag of delightful treats. There are epic climbs, long days in the saddle, days upon days of suffering, and unending loneliness. There is no one single best way to approach a task that is myriad in nature. So, I will give you my approach and let you take what you will.

My coach often says, "Train your weakness, race your strength." This is a pretty good philosophy for the tour. For an illustration, in my training I focused on hard short intervals and climbing (neither of which are my forte). And, in the race I let myself go slow and stead for unending hours on the bike each day which ultimately led to my strength, "metal fortitude".

In contrast, other racers (like the Eurotrain) focused on short hard sets with longer rest breaks and they opted for a hotel every night. In the first few days of the race I would stop at the same place the Eurotrain did but I would be there for roughly five minutes while they would stop for a good half hour. I would see them later in the day as they passed me on a long climb but then I would pass them again as they stopped at the top to recover from their hard effort. They also stopped early in the night and tended to avoid the foul weather.

Their preference for creature comforts let me grab a huge lead on day four or five, as an unbelievable hail/rain/lightning storm blew in. They ran for cover near warm river campground and I pushed on for many hours into the night giving me a sizable 40 mile lead the next morning. This 40 mile lead was enough to hold them off until the heat started to get to me in southern Colorado.

Really what I'm trying to say here is; long steady hours in the saddle will beat short bursts of speed. (Rule #1)

Another big advantage that I had over other racers was my course knowledge. I scoured every blog, book, and online forum I could find for intel about the course, the cities that it passed through, and where resupply/shelter points were. I strongly feel that I had the most course knowledge of any 'rookie' in the field.

My course knowledge helped me push further many days with the warm allure of food and shelter in front of me. It also helped me out think the competition....

On day three I was one of the last riders into the small town where I slept. Everything was closed down except the bar and the front desk of the motel. I saw about eight bikes at the bar when I rolled in. I checked the times at the convenience store and saw that it didn't open until 7 am. I checked in at the motel and bought enough resupply from the front desk to make it to the next city knowing that my resupply would let me leave very early while the other racers (who were likely on beer three) would be waiting around for the store to open.

This brings us to rule #2, know thy course.

The final piece of the divide tactics puzzle is.... suffering. Be ready for it. It will be there.

I often think back longingly about being in the open wilderness, riding my bike and feeling like I'm at peace with nature... then suddenly I start to get panicked thinking about how much it hurt and how scared I was. I often will reminisce about the tour to my wife saying, "Man, I really want to do the tour again". This phrase is often quickly followed up with and exasperated, "Nevermindithurttoomuch." after I remember the reality of the struggles on the divide.

Really:

It still gives me nightmares.

I still don't have all my toe nails grown back.

I still don't have hair on my @ss in two huge circular spots where my saddle sores were.

It was brutal.

You can let the suffering be your enemy, or you can let it be your confidant, your refuge, your meditative place, and your ally in the war. I relied upon the suffering to whittle down my competition in ways that my fitness could not. I only averaged something like 6 mph over the course of the divide but I beat much stronger riders by doing things like setting out in the rain at Brush Mountain Lodge and hiking 17 miles through mud and snow instead of staying in the lodge waiting for friendlier weather.

This brings us to rule number three, "Left foot, right foot". Let nothing stop you from putting your left foot out front and then your right foot out front. It's really that simple, just keep moving no matter how slow or difficult.

Let's review the rules then shall we?

1) Long and steady beats short and fast.

2) Know thy course.

3) Left foot, right foot.

Well, that is my run down on race tactics. I know it sounds pretty simple. That's because, racing the Divide is really simple when it comes down to it. After all the gear selection, training, and anticipation... it really just comes down to making consistent, informed, and unrelenting forward progress.

7 comments:

  1. Great write-up and thank you so much for sharing.
    Where did you mount your SPOT?
    Woody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Woody!

    I originally mounted my SPOT on my arrowbard but it fell of just before Salida. After that I shoved it in my Reveleate seat bag. As long as I put it at the top of the bag, with the corret side facing up, it worked fine.

    Eric over at Reveleate has started making an add on pouch for the spot that mounts on the seat bag. Check it out over in their website, revelatedesign.com. It's really inexpensive and a piece of gear I'll definitely bring on my next Divide attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, that should say aerobars. Arrowbard, really autocorrect??

    PS These two posts are by me, tge blogs author. My phone won't let me log into blogger at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got my seat bag for Christmas and I noticed the 4 hoops, but didn't notice "The Spocket" on his website. He must have just added it not too long ago, I'll be ordering it tomorrow. :)
    Thanks,
    Woody

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks much for the review! Lots of good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who is your coach? I'm interested in doing the race and am looking for a coach with some experience in these areas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My coach is Lisa Keller at Alaska Multisport training. I have been training with her since 2005. Her stuff really works. Tell her Justin sent you!

    http://www.multisporttrainingak.com/

    ReplyDelete